Monday, August 1

The Thai food culture is very social

I rarely see a Thai person eating alone. Instead of asking me what's up and inviting me into her room, my friend's way of greeting me when I knock on her door is by peeking around the door frame asking if I am hungry and want to get some food.

There is no specific meal for Breakfast, Lunch or dinner. They eat whatever meal they want. Fried rice for breakfast, noodles for lunch and soup for dinner, or the opposite way around. My friend did tell me I shouldn't eat Som Tam (green papaya salad) for breakfast because it is too spice, I should have some bread first. I haven't seen any crusty, chewy, hard baguette style breads here, unfortunately the western influence has only brought white bread.

They don't eat with chop sticks or use a knife. Unless you're eating steak in a western style restaurant, you will be served with a fork and a spoon. Thai people eat with their spoon in the right hand, and the fork in the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment